Capgemini is a global leader in consulting, digital transformation, technology and engineering services. The Group is at the forefront of innovation to address the entire breadth of clients’ opportunities in the evolving world of cloud, digital and platforms. Building on its strong 50-year+ heritage and deep industry-specific expertise, Capgemini enables organizations to realize their business ambitions through an array of services from strategy to operations. Capgemini is driven by the conviction that the business value of technology comes from and through people. Today, it is a multicultural company of 270,000 team members in almost 50 countries. With Altran, the Group reported 2019 combined revenues of €17billion.
Businesses and governments that operate built assets and infrastructures find that they have a wealth of asset data and information. Design models show as-built details, while manuals and schedules guide maintenance, and GIS shows location-based information on maps. Sensors and the IoT add real-time data to the mix. The challenge is in bringing all that information together to optimize operations.
Capgemini sought to address this challenge by creating a platform that unites data across systems to form digital twins of assets. Utilizing 15+ years of experience in creating solutions for the digital continuity of physical assets, Capgemini created Reflect-IoD (IoD stands for internet of dimensions) - a cloud-based digital twin platform.
How Capgemini solved it with Forge.
Reflect-IoD is a single digital twin platform whose primary role is to federate data from multiple sources and create a 360° view of the assets. With Relfect-IoD users can see all of their data - from 2D and 3D BIM data to geographical, maintenance, and IoT data - in one place. Reflect-IoD empowers users to better manage buildings, industrial assets, infrastructure, cities and territories - saving costs and bringing safety, efficiency and collaboration to Operations.
Capgemini chose Forge to build its’ Reflect-IoD platform on for the following reasons:
- Forge is a set of APIs, that can seamlessely be assembled according to the business requirements. It’s not meant to be a one-size-fits-all solution.
- Forge is cloud-based, with a high level of scalability, performance, and cost efficiency. It supports a fast time-to-market approach.
- Forge is data-agnostic: thanks to Model Derivative API, it brings the capability to work with more than 60 2D/3D file formats of the market. It’s not a vendor lock-in solution, and can be used in various client contexts.
Using Forge has proven to be time-saving, enabling the Capgemini team to focus on business solutions such as design reviews, improved handover, inspection and field operations, and remote assistance. Furthermore, Forge is releasing new APIs and new features that will bring new added value for their clients, such as BIM 360 API and Design Automation API. Solution highlights include the following:
- Reducing the time to find asset data by as much as 40%
- Accelerating handover of new buildings and infrastructure by 30%-40%
- Cutting combined capital and operational expense for assets by as much as 30%
"Using Autodesk Forge for Capgemini Reflect-IoD digital twin platform has enabled our team to focus on solving client challenges and develop business value."—Alban Alev, Head of Reflect-IoD, Capgemini