FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Forge Platform
Autodesk Forge is a connected developer cloud platform comprised of web services, technical resources, and an engaged community. Forge operates in a common data environment and leverages Autodesk’s 35 years of industry expertise, technology, and global network, enabling companies to get started quickly and focus on developing customized and scalable solutions to solve design, engineering, and manufacturing challenges.
- Accelerate your existing online workflows or create new solutions
- Helps streamline the complexities of manufacturing, engineering, and construction industries by connecting players, components, and processes
- Centralize your data and connect it to all points of the industry supply chain, empowering you to transform the manufacturing process
- Create digital experiences that access any kind of design and engineering data—virtually anywhere, any time
- Scale as your customers’ needs change or as you innovate
- Improve existing software or build new, custom solutions using industry-standard web technologies
Check out our customer stories to see how our customers use Forge to make the future.
Forge helps companies address engineering, construction, and manufacturing challenges by enabling the development of customized, scalable solutions that meet the digital needs of tomorrow. Building a new application or upgrading an existing product? Forge can help by offering APIs (application programming interface) and services that leverage design data to create opportunities for innovation and collaboration.
Forge is the only PaaS from a leader with over 35 years of industry expertise in 3D design, engineering, construction, and entertainment software that offers SaaS (Software as a Service) for BIM (Building Information Modeling), manufacturing, CAD (Computer Aided Design), PLM (Product Lifecycle Management), and more. In addition, it runs on the same foundational cloud services and IT infrastructure that powers our partner and customer solutions.
Viewer displays 2D and 3D design files including basic VR (virtual reality) and associated data from more than 50 file formats. It allows users to share design information via web browsers and create tailored customer experiences for project dashboards, cost estimations, bills of materials, and schedule views. Viewer also leverages information from other applications.
Model Derivative API represents and shares design files in different formats, prepares them for online viewing, and extracts geometry and object property data. Design data can be quickly and easily integrated with other systems such as ERP (enterprise resource planning), PLM (product lifecycle management), cost estimating, and scheduling.
Design Automation API runs AutoCAD as an engine in the cloud. Use it as a drawing generation engine for web applications or convert thousands of DWG files to PDF files in batch. Coming soon: Autodesk Inventor and Revit engines.
Data Management API manages files across A360, Fusion 360, and BIM 360 Docs, as well as Forge’s native Object Storage Service. Use a unified interface to upload/download data files from different Autodesk products and web services. Access project- and file-level data for integrating with other enterprise or project systems.
For more information, visit APIs Documentation.
New APIs and additional software components will be released on an ongoing basis. Visit our website and sign up for a free trial to receive updates about new releases.
As a subscriber, you will pay a $500 monthly fee for access to the Forge platform, which includes a limited number of cloud credits to begin developing applications. Whether you are a software developer building an ecosystem or are a direct purchaser developing an enhancement to an application, the pricing model remains the same.
Cloud credits are the unit of measurement required to perform certain tasks, such as translating a file in a cloud environment using Autodesk cloud services.
There are a variety of ways to integrate the Forge business model into your own application, including passing the costs incurred through consumption usage onto your customers.
Yes. The free trial is good for 500 cloud credits or one year–whichever is consumed sooner.
No. You must register with Forge and purchase a subscription to use the platform and purchase additional cloud credits.
With a Forge subscription, you can apply your cloud credits to the APIs of your choice.
Yes. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
All cloud credits expire within 12 months of receipt.
Usage & Availability
When you reach the usage limit for your subscription, you may be contacted and given the option to purchase additional cloud credits for consumption. We will not turn off access to APIs without notifying you. We do reserve the right to limit excessive usage and will communicate with you before API usage is affected.
The Forge trial and subscription are available worldwide. You may purchase a Forge subscription online if you live in the United States or Europe. If you are not in Europe or the United States and are interested in subscribing to Forge, please email email@example.com.
Training & Support
We maintain a range of online resources to help you get up and running on Forge, including sample code on GitHub, a developer blog, videos, and tutorials in each respective API documentation pages. If you can't find what you need there, then you can pose your questions to our community on StackOverflow. Click on the Resources tab at the top of the page at developer.autodesk.com for more information.
Yes. We recommend you first review resources available on the Forge developer portal for more information about how you can best use our Forge APIs for your business needs. If you still have questions, then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to arrange a call to talk you through your options.
The Forge team runs regular accelerators at Autodesk offices around the world. These typically last one week (Monday to Friday). During the Accelerator, participants will work intensively on a chosen project with the help of our team of Autodesk Forge experts. Upcoming Accelerator dates and venues are posted on autodeskcloudaccelerator.com and on the Forge Community Blog.
- We build security into our products by following secure development practices throughout the product lifecycle. By doing so, Autodesk creates products that are more resilient to threats and makes it harder for attackers to develop exploits, which helps us protect our customers and their assets.
- Autodesk uses active monitoring and threat intelligence to help detect and contain threats to Autodesk’s cloud.
- We respond effectively to reduce customer risk. No matter how stringent we have been in building defenses, attackers may still find a way to compromise them. We work proactively to prioritize and address security weaknesses so we can quickly neutralize the threat. Additionally, communicating transparently with our customers so that they can take steps to protect themselves is a critical part of product security.
- We comply with industry regulations and standards. We use third-party attestations to make sure we are focusing on the right elements and activities to secure our environments. Our philosophy is that compliance should be a by-product of good security.
- For more information about our security practices, visit the Autodesk Trust Center. If you want to learn more about developing a secure application, check out our RSA conference presentation.
Integration With Other Autodesk Offerings
You will be able to access the relevant APIs on Forge through your existing product subscriptions (for example, BIM 360 API through a BIM 360 subscription). For access to APIs only available through the Forge platform, you will need to subscribe to Forge.
If you call the Model Derivative API directly, you will be charged cloud credits regardless of where the file comes from. However, if you translate the file through BIM 360 Docs, you will not be charged cloud credits and can access that translation through the Forge Data Management API.
Forge is a platform that we currently offer via direct online purchase. However, we see a huge opportunity for our reseller community to join our growing team of certified systems integrator partners, selling solutions and applications to third parties on the Forge platform.